Friends of The Muse Writers Center
We believe in a thriving literary arts community and strive to form partnerships and friendships with other writers and organizations in the area. Here are some literary links you might be interested in, including some local businesses.
Join the Writers Reservoir
Join our Facebook group, The Writers Reservoir and connect with other writers and share articles, essays and personal experiences about being a writer in the world today as well as information about places to submit, contests, conferences, and more. In this online writers’ community, you can share, learn, connect and find that often elusive creative spark. The Writers Reservoir is an open Facebook group. All are welcome to join and send invitations to join.
Local Writers Conferences and Festivals
- Hampton Roads Writers (HRW) holds Virginia’s best Writers Conference every September.
- Christopher Newport University Writers Conference is another excellent conference held in May each year.
- Old Dominion University Literary Festival features nationally-known writers for readings each October.
- Tidewater Community College Literary Festival features nationally-known writers for readings each April.
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP): though not local, AWP holds the world’s largest literary conference each year in a different U.S. city. Their website also contains a searchable directory of literary organizations, degree programs, and contests around the nation.
Local Organizations and Groups
- Hampton Roads Writers (HRW) hosts monthly events and workshops.
- Tidewater Writers is a local critique group that meets around Hampton Roads.
- Arts Services Arts Partnership partners with The Muse to offer creative writing classes for military service members, veterans, their families, and caregivers. They also host other arts classes.
- The Push Comedy Theater holds classes in improv comedy, sketch comedy, and standup comedy. These classes are great for writers, especially those wanting to further develop craft in scene, characterization, and setting.
- Zeiders American Dream Theater holds playwriting workshops.
- Hampton Roads Kid Lit Writers and Illustrators is local group for kid lit writers and illustrators.
- The Venue on 35th Street hosts a weekly, Monday open mic frequented by poets and prose writers.
- Chesapeake Bay Writers, a chapter of the Virginia Writers Club, serves writers from the Middle Peninsula, the Northern Neck and Williamsburg.
- Mystery by the Sea is the Southeastern Virginia Chapter of Sisters in Crime.
- Yorktown Writers' Workshop hosts monthly poetry readings and workshops.
- Virginia Beach Writers is a Virginia Beach-based local critique group.
- The Poetry Society Of Virginia hosts workshops and readings for poets in the Hampton Roads area.
- MarsCon hosts an annual science fiction convention in Williamsburg.
Local Publishers and Places to Submit
- Penultimate Peanut Magazine seeks original, unpublished works of nonfiction, poetry, short fiction, and art.
- Barely South Review seeks original, unpublished works of nonfiction, poetry, short fiction, and art.
- The Blue Collar Review seeks original, unpublished poetry and prose.
- Koehler Books is a locally based, national indie publishing company offering both traditional and co-publishing.
- Poetica Publishing specializes in on-demand and self-publishing of poetry, prose and short story collections.
- Coastal Virginia Magazine is a great market for local nonfiction writers.
Local Bookstores and Writer-Friendly Places
- Prince Books is the preeminent indie bookstore in Hampton Roads.
- The Book Exchange both in Norfolk and Virginia Beach contains vast collections of gently used books.
- AFK Books in Norfolk offers new and gently used books.
- The Norfolk Stationary Company is a writers playground, and offers Muse members a 20% discount.
- The NARO Expanded Cinema screens independent, foreign, and art-house films.
- Hearsay with Cathy Lewis on WHRV 89.5 FM often discusses topics relating to literature and the humanities.
Grabbing a Bite Near The Muse
There are many nearby restaurants to enjoy a meal before or after class or an event. Here are some of our favorites:
- Plaza del Sol in our shopping center.
- A. W. Shucks in our shopping center.
- Yorgo’s Bageldashery across Colonial Ave. at 22nd St.
- Pixels Pints & Bytes across Colonial Ave. at 22nd St.
- The Handsome Biscuit at 25th St. & Colonial Ave.
- Toast at 25th St. and Colonial Ave.
- Cafe Stella on Colonial Ave. and 20th St. A great local coffee house.
- Cogan’s Pizza on Colonial Ave. and Washington Park